Monday, July 14, 2008

Hummus is SO Easy to Make and Tasty to Eat

I really do like hummus and I don't think I could ever get sick of it because it is so good. Beyond it's yumminess I like that it is filled with protein, fibre and calcium from the chickpeas and tahini; such a great combo for so many reasons. Another great thing about hummus is that it is quick and easy to make and it is very versatile. Oh and I like it because after I eat it I feel satisfied and my blood sugar levels stabilize quickly. I'm not really sure when I first started eating hummus, I imagine some time ago. Maybe my mom could comment on that (hint, wink).
As for the versatility of hummus here are some ideas beyond dipping pita in hummus (which is tasty).
  • A dip for carrots, celery, red pepper, cucumber, sliced jicama, cherry tomatoes...
  • A sandwich spread; nice with feta, red pepper and sprouts. (from the classic Dogtooth Cafe in Golden BC. I believe it is on Jita's Cafe menu now)
  • Great in wraps too; try grilled veggies and spinach.
  • As a base for pizza instead of tomato sauce. Cook the pizza crust for a bit on it's own first then spread on hummus and toppings. Try black olives, zucchini, basil and goat cheese.
  • On rice cakes for a quick snack.
  • Stuffed into half a red pepper.

I would love to hear your ideas of what you make with hummus. Send me an idea and get a free issue of Recipes to Be A Healthier Me.

Hummus can also be made with different ingredients to mix up the flavour and keep you from getting bored with it. Some ideas follow the recipe below.

Hummus, My Way 1 can drained chick peas or 2 cups cooked chickpeas 1-2 cloves garlic 1 tbsp tahini 4 tbsp lemon juice 3 tbsp water 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or flax oil 1 tsp ground cumin ½ tsp ground kelp

Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add salt to taste and more lemon juice or water if mixture is too thick. Spread on sandwiches or use for a veggie dip. Make a big batch and freeze in portion size containers. Hummus Variations: Add fresh herbs such as cilantro, parsley or basil. Mix other beans such as romano, kidney or navy. Add a fresh hot chili. Add ¼ cup black olives and 1 tsp oregano. Add 2 finely chopped artichoke hearts. Mediterranean Tortilla Pizza Spread hummus on an Ezekiel Tortilla. Top with sliced red pepper, tomato and olives. Sprinkle on basil and feta cheese. Place in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: