Friday, August 1, 2008

Chocolate Hearts

I usually make birthday cakes. It's not often that I buy one, especially for my boyfriend's birthday. But I was a little overwhelmed and busy so I did. I bought a cake and it was really good. It was made with good ingredients; the real deal. It was filled with cocoa, butter, sour cream, raw cane sugar, good eggs; it was a "real" cake. When I was standing in the store deciding whether or not I was going to take the easy route I realized that it was Ryan's birthday and I should do what he would want. Which meant a "real"cake, not one made with spelt flour, agave nectar and rice milk. Although my cakes are really good and he loves them, I thought that maybe I should just buy a cake that he would really love and be done with it. So I did. That's my confession. The great part of it all was that we were having such a good time hanging out with friends, eating nachos (birthday boy's desired dinner, organic of course) andchoosing the wine that our friend's would serve at their wedding that I didn't have any food anxiety. I ate it and enjoyed every bite and stopped when my taste buds were happy and my stomach was full.
Enjoying food is the best way to digest it; it beats any digestive enzyme. When your body and mind are relaxed and you are in a place of joy what you eat is not an issue. Ponder that.


I did have to add my own touch to the cake, which was super luxurious and very well received. I topped it with these totally decadent chocolate hearts. Easy to make and soooooo amazing.

All you need is:

1 can of premium (NOT lite) coconut milk

160 gram of really good dark organic chocolate

Love

Heat the thick part of the coconut milk in a medium saucepan. The trick to separating the coconut milk is to put it in the fridge, right side up, for at least 20 minutes. Then take it out, turn it upside down, open it and pour out the watery part (save it for a smoothie or soup). Then scoop out the thick part and put it in the pan.

Now grate or finely chop up the chocolate and stir it into the hot, but not boiling coconut cream.

Once it is all mixed in pour the chocolate into molds. I used heart shaped ice cube trays.

Put it in the freezer for at least one hour.

Pull them out and enjoy the yummy-ness!

No comments: