Friday, August 8, 2008

Watermelon Blender Drink

I bought a really nice, bright red organic watermelon. I cut into it and had a couple of sweet, juicy slices. Grommit (the dog) had ignored the piece of watermelon that fell to the floor when I was cutting but after she saw me eating it she enjoyed some herself.
I thought a blender drink would be really nice and I had some sparkling mineral water in the fridge. I am going to give this one to you how I made it, which is how I make most of my recipes; without a recipe and without measuring. I start cooking or preparing a dish with an inspiration, which may be an ingredient or many, a photograph, a smell, or someone mentioning what they had for dinner the night before. Then I begin creating it. If I am trying to make a classic dish with my own twist I will find a recipe first to see if there are any key ingredients that make it up. Then I start playing with it, adding healthier ingredients, different grains or veggies and more flavour.
This time I was inspired by the tasty watermelon. My watermelon had seeds, just the way I like them as you can see from the photo below. That was my prize for counting the most seeds in my slice of watermelon at the fall fair (I was a kid). The button is sitting amongst my future crop of tomatoes.
After I sliced the watermelon I cut off the rind of 3 big slices and chopped the watermelon into a blender (including the seeds). Try to save all the juice and get it in the blender. The blender was about 3/4 full of watermelon chunks. I added 1 big spoon of local, unpasteurized, red clover honey. I also squeezed in half a lime. Then I blended it up until it was smooth and frothy. You may have to stop the blender a few times and give it a stir if it is not blending well. Don't add any water though because once it does get blended it will be very juicy.
Now find some pretty glasses and fill them half way with sparkling mineral water then top them up with the blended watermelon. You can add a sprig of fresh mint and some drops of red currant sauce. The key to adding perfect little drops of red current sauce is to use a teaspoon and put just a little sauce on it and then drop the sauce right above and very close to the drink. Patience and gentleness is needed so the drops float. If you don't have patience or don't want to make the sauce then just drink them as is.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful - will be trying tonight!

Marissa Schiesser said...

Thanks for commenting and enjoy!