Thursday, January 8, 2009

Canned Food- What's in the lining?

Almost all tin can linings contain BPA. Bisphenol-A has been all over the news, internet and peoples minds in the last few years and, more so, recently because of it's endocrine disrupting and carcinogenic potential.
Besides avoiding certain plastics it is also known that the linings in cans that contain food have BPA. Up until now I thought that this was unavoidable in any canned food, even organic. Although I limit the amount of canned food I use, I do use some. I cook dried beans and freeze them for the same convenience of canned and I freeze local tasty tomatoes in the summer. I don't seem to freeze enough tomatoes though so I end up buying canned ones and sometimes I haven't planned out my frozen bean stock so I buy canned. Those along with some fish are really the only canned foods that I tend to use. I found this article that lists 3 companies that use cans that have BPA free linings, yay! One of the companies is Eden foods. Their beans are canned in BPA free cans but their tomatoes are not. The acidic nature of tomatoes makes it impossible to use the BPA free lining. So that is unfortunate about the tomatoes, I am just going to try harder to freeze and can my own next year. The 2 other companies are unknown to me and are US based fish canners. Personally I think it is better to buy fresh fish locally and to really limit consumption of it. If you would like to read the article you can get it here. The biggest thing for me is that I will now only buy Eden brand canned beans when I need beans in a hurry.

No comments: