Thursday, December 11, 2008

Agave Update

If you didn't see the comment posted below please take a look at this link, which has an interview with an agave producer. Also here is the FAQ from Madahava. I was happy to receive this information that helps to clarify some things. I am still looking more into this and I am waiting for a response from Wilderness Family about their agave.
Like anything, there are 2 opinions and 2 sets of research. The best thing is, as always, do what feels right to you. I now feel that it is safe to consume moderate amounts of agave, if the agave is processed naturally and does not have the super-high, 90% content of fructose. Both Madahava and Wilderness Family are around 70-75% fructose. I realize that in my last post I was unsure of this; I needed more information to feel safe and still need a bit more confirmation, which I am looking for. My doubt came because when I consume more agave than I should I do feel adverse affects and my blood sugar does go up. But with anything too much is not good, even healthy foods. I hope this starts to clear some things up. I definitely advise using agave and any other sweetener in moderation and to use only high quality, organic and raw agave like Wilderness Family. Please post your thoughts and any other information that you have found.

2 comments:

Michelle Galo said...

Yesterday I was browsing recipes on VegWeb. As a former vegan (who still loves vegetarian food), I often raise an eyebrow at the ubiquity of soy in vegan cooking. Not only is soy used as a constant replacement for meat, dairy, and whatever else, but sometimes I'll see tofu added to a dish for no apparent reason.

I'm reminded of that because soy and agave are both used as replacements, of a sort. It seems they're similar in that they can both be healthy in moderation. But research marches on, and who knows what we'll know tomorrow?

Remember when carob was all the rage because people thought chocolate was unhealthy? Funny, since the health benefits of cocoa have gone public, I don't see too many hippies jonesin' for a carob bar.

Marissa Schiesser said...

I agree, soy is so over consumed by many veggies/vegans. It's not that soy is bad, it is just that there are many highly processed forms of soy that are well marketed as a meat substitute.

Good comparison with agave. There is agave that is less processed and free of chemicals; the certified organic ones. Agave is a substitute for many people with sugar sensitivities and like anything should only be used in moderation.

Yah, carob, whoever thought that could substitute for chocolate. There is no substitute for chocolate...It's one of a kind.