Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tomato Lime Soup

I had a jar of diced tomatoes sitting in my fridge for a few days. I stared at me every time I opened the fridge but I didn't know what to do with it. I wasn't into making pasta sauce or using it on my rice, steamed veggies and miso dressing bowl. Tonight I decided that it had to be eaten or thrown out. I scrounged around and pulled a few things out of the fridge to create a masterpiece. I had some onion, celery, a lime, fresh cilantro and garlic. It was super quick and ridiculously easy. It came out tasting fresh and zesty. Shows that even if you have very little to work with you can create a tasty dish. Sometimes having less ingredients is better. I challenge you to post the ingredients that you have in your fridge in the comments box. I will put them together into an inventive dish. Tomato Lime Soup Serves 2 (easily doubled) 1 tbsp olive oil 1 stalk celery, finely chopped 1/4 cup onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups diced tomatoes, juice and all 1 tsp raw honey 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped 1 lime, juiced a pinch of salt In a small pot heat olive oil on medium/low and add onions, celery and garlic. Cook for five minutes then add tomatoes. Cook for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and blend soup with a hand blender. Add a bit of water if it is too thick. Stir in cilantro, lime and honey. Add salt to taste, just a pinch. That's it. I topped it with a thin slice of Tipsy Jane cheese from Jerseyland Organics Enjoy! And let me know what's in your fridge...

No comments: